- Milk Thistle is widely used to treat alcoholic Hepatitis and can help repair liver cells damaged by alcohol and other toxic substances by stimulating protein synthesis. It has also proven helpful to those suffering from IBS and high cholesterol
- Milk Thistle may have estrogen-like effects and may help start late menstrual periods
Some might think of Milk Thistle as a weed if they saw a six foot version of it growing in their garden and didnt know of its importance as a herbal ingredient. Milk Thistle produces an extract called Silymarin which is listed in the The Mereck Index as a liver protector that actually helps to regenerate liver cells and protect the liver against damage by toxins and viruses.
Latin name: Silybum marianum
Type: Organic, Dried Seed
Can be enjoy as an infusion; steep one teaspoon of crushed, dried seeds in a cup of boiling water for up to ten minutes, up to three times a day.
More effective as a tincture taken a few drops up to three times a day HOW TO MAKE A HERBAL TINCTURE
- Do not use if you have any hormone-related condition or any serious medical condition without consulting a medical professional
- Do not give to any child under two years old
- Do not use while pregnant or nursing
- For over 65s, use low levels, infrequently